Thursday, January 22, 2015

Ready or Not...

I held my breath as I heard the footsteps slowly creek across the floor just beyond the only thing separating me from my hunter. Part of me wanted to close my eyes, thinking if I couldn't see what might happen next, it wouldn't happen. Part of me wanted to peer through the crack of the closet door in order to be prepared if my fate was to be found.

I did neither. 

I was afraid to move. Afraid I would give myself away. Even the slightest squeak of the floor beneath me might mean my doom. When the footsteps seemed to have moved on, I made a mental note of which direction they had gone. I carefully reached out and turned the door knob as I mentally played over my escape route to safety. Slowly, I pushed the door open and stepped into the hallway, only to be met by a shadowed figure waiting for me. He didn't hesitate to move quickly.

“Tag. You're it.” 

I thought I had been so careful. I thought I had covered my bases. But he was clever. He knew what he was after and what it would take to get his target and he was biding his time, waiting for his window of opportunity. And he found it. 

Being a Christian these days is much the same way. We think we are being careful. We think we are doing the right things. We think we are protecting ourselves from all that Satan and the world can throw at us just by living right and being a good person, but most of us aren't even aware of what is biding time around the corner...waiting in the shadows for the perfect time to attack.

And when Satan attacks, being a good person isn't going to be enough to fight back. We have to be prepared for battle. And the best way to defeat your enemy, is to never underestimate them and know what they are capable of. The only way to do that is through knowledge.

You've heard the saying time and time again...knowledge is power. Well, it’s time to up the voltage. Proverbs 24:5 tells us, "The wise prevail through great power, and those who have knowledge muster their strength."

When you are feeling weak. When you feel like you can't withstand another attack...God is there. There is no greater knowledge than what you can find in the pages of His Word. And in His knowledge, there is power to face any obstacle the world can bring against you. Anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment